Information for Schools
Welcome to the Learn to Ride Centre
Southern Cross Early Childhood School hosts the ACT Education Directorate, Belconnen Network's Learn to Ride Centre.
The Learn to Ride Centre is designed in collaboration with the ACT's Ride or Walk to School Program and the Physical Activity Foundation to prepare children for using Canberra's many bike paths and roadways safely and responsibly.
The centre includes a fully fenced cycle path, pedestrian crossings and road safety signs. A selection of bikes and scooters are available for use.
The Learn to Ride Centre is available for children from Preschool to Year 2. There is no charge for the use of the Centre but a gold coin donation per child would be appreciated for maintenance and upkeep of the facility.
Please read the information below so that you know what to bring, do and see.
Resources at the centre
- 10 Balance Bikes - appropriate size for children in kindergarten and preschool, seats can be raised.
- 10 Bikes with two pedals- appropriate size for children in kindergarten and preschool, seats can be raised.
- 2 Bikes with training wheels- for children with a disability and/or balance issues.
- 10 Scooters.
- 10 x 24 inch bikes with 3 speed gears and two pedals- appropriate size for children kindergarten, year 1 and year 2.
- 30 Helmets.
- 1 Adult Bike.
- A drinking station where children can fill up their drink bottles.
- Tags to place on bikes for maintenance (flat tyres, loose items etc)
- Rubber gloves and ice packs.
What to bring to the centre
Please bring the following items when you visit;
- Hats - Please Note: As part of the Education Directorate sun safe policy it is a requirement that children wear hats under their helmets when riding. We clean the helmets regularly however you must provide a shower cap for children with head lice.
- Drink bottles
- A First Aid Kit
- A bag for rubbish that comes from meals and snacks. It is your responsibility to remove all rubbish from the site on departure.