Literacy Learning at SCECS
The study of English is central to the learning and development of all young Australians. It helps create confident communicators, imaginative thinkers and informed citizens. It is through the study of English that individuals learn to analyse, understand, communicate with and build relationships with others and with the world around them. Australian Curriculum English Rationale-ACARA
At Southern Cross Early Childhood School we have established a series of core beliefs around literacy learning, which underpin Educator's programming and lesson development.
- Because we believe all children are writers… at Southern Cross you'll see writing every day.
- Because we believe all children can find joy in books…at Southern Cross you'll see reading every day.
- Because we believe children learn in different ways…at Southern Cross you'll see our educators providing different ways to learn.
- Because we believe learning should be fun…at Southern Cross you'll see children engaged in fun, hands on and valuable learning experiences.
- Because we believe children's writing should be meaningful and relevant…at Southern Cross you'll see authentic examples and connections within play spaces.
- Because we believe children should be exposed to and immersed in literacy …at Southern Cross you'll see educators modelling speaking, listening, reading and writing behaviours and explicitly naming and teaching reading and writing strategies.
We utilise quality resources and programs including The Daily 5, The CAFE Book, First Steps, BEE Spelling and the Balanced Literacy program when planning literacy lessons and experiences.